The 6 Human Needs
I once heard Tony Robbins discuss the 6 Human Needs we all have.
According to Tony, we need:
- Certainty (security)
- Uncertainty (variety/surprise)
- Significance (to feel important, special, unique)
- Contribution Beyond Ourselves
Of the 6 Human Needs, Tony explained that we all find a way to meet the first four needs in any way possible.
We have to work on the last two; most people don’t get to #5 and #6.
Applying the 6 Human Needs to Your Life
What do you do to satisfy the first four human needs? How could you move beyond the first four and achieve numbers five and six?
Let’s do a brief exercise for a minute.
This exercise will help you:
- Better understand where you are today.
- See yourself from a new perspective.
- Help you identify how your life is currently structured and what changes (if any) you’d like to make to achieve the six human needs in other ways.
- Why do you currently feel the way you do about certain areas of your life
You’ll get a ton of value out of this. Grab a piece of paper and something to write with.
Answer the following:
- What brings you certainty in your life?
- The feeling you get when you ______?
- What brings you uncertainty (variety/surprise)?
- Surprises from friends/family?
- Unexpected circumstances relating to where you live, travel to, etc.?
- What makes you feel significant?
- Have a title at work?
- Being a leader in an organization?
- Helping a cause you believe in?
- What makes you feel connected to others and loved?
- Social events?
- Dinner with family/friends/spouse?
- Sharing volunteering experiences with others?
- Random gifts, phone calls, etc.?
- How can you grow?
- Read books
- Listen to audios
- Attend seminars
- Learn a new skill
- Have new experiences that teach you things and take you outside your comfort zone
- How can you contribute to others?
- Create a business that serves more people
- Invest in companies that have missions you believe in
- Sell a product or service you believe in
- Give to charity
- Invest your time in helping a specific group, cause, or individual
I hope this exercise has helped you understand yourself a bit better.
Take this information and use it to create the life you truly want if your answers above differ from your dreams. Dare to dream.
What do you think about this? Please share your opinions by adding your comments bellow.